Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Free Writing

I have been meaning to post this for a while. In working with my youth group I had them do an assignment called free writing. They had to write continuously for 10 minutes on the topic “I remember….” This was to help them be more confident writers, but it also helped me to learn a bit about what their childhoods were like. Here an interesting example:

I remember the sound of the gun when I was small and I saw everybody going up and down shouting about their family, they were running up the street looking for their family. Some people went to different places to look for a place of safety. Some people were killed by the rebels. Some people were suffering with anger. I saw some people were very sick. I saw some people crying for help and some people who were looking for food to eat and needed medicine to drink. I see people cutting another person hand, foot, etc. I also saw some people were being punished like a prisoner, some people were being beat up and some were hung up. I saw some people were tied up were put into fire.
-Selexon S. Karim

No comments: