Wednesday, February 6, 2008

History of My NGO and My Staff

Here is the history of how my NGO was formed:

The Youth Development Association (YDA), a non-profit community-based organization, was formed in the year 1995. It was a small organization of volunteers dedicated to social service for a brighter future for the community during the civil war in the country. On January 6, 1999, as a result of a rebel invasion of the capital city of Freetown, most members of the organization were displaced or killed.

It took almost a year before the rebels were dislodged from Freetown and the legitimate government restored. It was difficult to locate most of the members of YDA.
On 6th February 2000, a meeting of YDA was held at #36 Pendemba Road. In this meeting, it was suggested that the YDA be transformed into a local, non-governmental organization that may cover the whole country instead of the Western area alone. All the members present approved this suggestion and a committee was appointed to arrange the transformation.
In the year 2001, the current NGO was formally registered as a non-governmental organization with the Ministry of Development and Economic Planning in Freetown.

Here are short autobiographies of the board of directors for my NGO. I thought some of you might find them interesting. Notice the last one, I am name after him: ‘Bahungeh.’

Patrick Abu Mansaray, Chairman
I was born in Daru-Tonkia, in the Tonkia Chiefdom in 1958. I attended St. Paul Primary School in Kenema, St. Ambrose Secondary School in Yengema, and Easter Polytechnic College in Kenema. I am married with children.

Shed Ibrahim Jah, Country Program Director (currently in USA)
I attended the Saint Edward Secondary School in Freetown and graduated at both levels in the General Certificate of Education (GCE Ordinary and Advanced levels from 1980 - 1988). I graduated from the University of Sierra Leone (Fourah Bay College) in 1992 with a Bachelors' degree in Economics. After graduation, I worked in various capacities: Social Development Officer, Ministry of Social Welfare and Rural Development; Accounting Assistant at IPC LTD in Freetown; Coordinator (Sierra Leone)Trickle Up Programme, USA; Volunteer Country Coordinator, The Love Foundation; and now serving as National Secretary of Servas in Sierra Leone, a national group of Servas International. In 2002, I participated in a one month microenterprise and community development training at Southern New Hampshire University, Manchester, NH, United States. Personally, I have an individual membership status with Airline Ambassadors International USA and am working with Ambassadors for Children to start and develop a Chapter in Sierra Leone. Presently, I am living in Maryland, USA.

David Lahai Kallon, Liaison/Administration Officer
I was born in Freetown on 22nd March, 1951. A fourth child of eight children by late Mr. A.S.D. Kallon and Md. Mamei Kallon, now age 85. I obtained my General Certificate in Education in 1970 and later attended the Njala University College and obtained a Certificate in Agriculture General in 1973. I have worked in many places, in many capacities: Ministry of Agriculture in the Northern Province, Ministry of Education as a teacher in Kailahun District, UNIROYAL and JANTZEN companies in Liberia, also teaching at the senior secondary level and working for Bong Mines in Liberia. I returned to Kenema in 1987 and worked on my agriculture programmes until 1992 when I worked with NASMOS helping refugees and the internally displaced until 1996. I later joined the Human Rights Committee, monitoring violations and abuses in the Eastern Province and was elected Secretary General. I am also Deacon for the New Apostolic Church International.

Alfred Musa, Field Supervisor
I was born on 23rd September, 1952 in Kamboma, Lower Bambara Chiefdom, Kenema District. I attend R.C. Primary School in Kamboma and Methodist Primary in Segbwema. I entered Wesley Secondary School in Segbwema up to my fifth form. I later went to Freetown and gained employment in 1978 with Auroel Tabacco Company (ATC) for fifteen years. Due to the rebel war, the company closed and I later came back to my home.

Mustapha Brima Kanneh, Field Supervisor
I was born in Pendembu, Upper Bambara Chiefdom, Kailahun District in the Eastern part of Sierra Leone in 1953. I attended R.C. Primary School and Pendembu Vocational Secondary School and attained a GCO level certificate. I have vocational training in construction and attended Technical Institute and attained my certificate in Building and Technology. I worked for CARE Construction Company, OIC Institution, ARC International and trained ex-combatants in carpentry, masonry, and adult illiteracy, Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA), and private enterprises. I now have a skills training center in 2 components, masonry and carpentry.

Solomon Gbessay Yamba, Field Supervisor
I was born in Largo, Nongowa Chiefdom, Kenema District on 17th March, 1946. I attended Largo Native Administration School from class I to class V and Kenema Secondary School from form I to form IV. I was a cost and time clerk for Sierra Leone Selection Trust (SLST) in Yengema. I was a timber and block yard clerk in the construction department and a store keeper at National Diamond Mining Company (NDMC). I was the manager at Hotel Gbogbotoh in Kenema. I worked with “CREPS” Teaching with the Ministry of Education at KDEC School in Kenema. I have also been a revenue collector for district council in Kenema. I have attended many workshops including in the areas of external mural study, office administration, “CREPS” teaching, human rights activities, and HIV/AIDS sensitization. I am married and have 3 boys
and 1 girl.

Watta Kanneh, Field Supervisor
I was born on the 2nd July, 1960 in Pendembu, Upper Bamabara Chiefdom, Kailahun District. I attended Saint Mary’s Girls Primary School in Pendembu and Vocational Secondary School in Pendembu where I attended until my fifth form. After a few years, I went to Freetown where I learned typing. I then worked in the Ministry of Interior as a typist for two years. I then worked in the Association of Women for one year, then Ben Hirsh Memorial Orphanage for two years. I later joined the Women’s Magazine Program and then learned computer programming.
Adiatu Kallay, Gender Issues Supervisor
I was born on April 29th, 1970 in Segwema, Njaluahun Chiefdom, Kailahun District, in the Eastern Province of Sierra Leone. I attended the Roman Catholic Primary School, Holy Ghost Secondary School, and took a catering course at Muoda Technical Vocational School. Presently, I am married with three children, and have a private business. My largest area of concern is gender issues.

Abdul Kpanabom, Financial Officer
I was born on the 15th May 1972, in a town called Segbwema, Kailahun District, Eastern Sierra Leone. In 1993, after my G.C.E. O’level examinations, I went to Sierra Rutile Mining Company and secure a job as a radio operator from 1993 to 1995 when the rebels attacked the company that led to the massive redundancy by the company due to the destruction of the operation areas. In 1996, I worked for the American Embassy as a radio operator. In 2000, I studied computer hardware and software at the African Information Technology Holdings Limited (AITH), Freetown. After completing my computer course, I was on part time basis for AITH, then I later traveled to Kenema and work for the Kamboi Lebanese International School, Kenema, from 2004 to 2005 when I started working for AITH, Kenema branch as an Instructor from 2005 to October 2007 when I was appointed as the Acting Manager for AITH, Kenema branch.

Akim Karimu, Communications Officer
I was born on 22nd October 1975 in Segwema, Njaluahun Chiefdom, Kailahun District, Sierra Leone. I sat to my common entrance examination at Independence Primary School, Tonga in 1989, my General Certificate Examination (GCE) in 1996 at Holy Ghost Secondary School, Segwema (HGSS) and Advance Level (A Level) examination in 1998 at Government Secondary School Kenema (GSSK). From 1999-2002, I was a sales manager for Mobil Petroleum Company, Segwema. I later attended the African Information Technology Holdings Ltd. (AITH) and graduated in 2003 with a Diploma Certificate in Application Software and am currently employed at a software tutor at AITH.

Thomas Bahungeh Kallay, Project Officer
I was born in Nhanyahun, Gorania Mende Chiefdom, Kenema District, Eastern Province on October 17, 1936. I went to primary school at Tiengie, Haugha, Bauga, Bo, and Yonibana. I went to secondary school at the Government Secondary School in Koyeima. I received a certificate in general agriculture and then received a diploma in agriculture from the Njala Training College (NTC) in 1960. I have 38 years work experience with Njala University College in Agriculture, Agronomy, Economic and Extension Department. I conducted various research projects in all the districts and western areas and the country of Sierra Leone. I also have experience outside the country: I visited Abijau in 1987, Nova Scotia in Canada for 6 months to survey agriculture, and Gambia in 2003. I am currently director of a vocational skills training center MVATC at Tungie, Gorania Mende Chiefdomand councilor of ward 4 in Gorania Mende.

No comments: