Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Languages

I live with a Mende family, so I know a little more Mende than the other languages. I also know people of the Fullah and Mondingo tribes. They all speak Krio though. So here is the stuff I am saying everyday, the stuff that I have been able to remember. I am learning bit by bit. I know the greetings, some foods, and some other essentials in Mende at least. I typed these out phonetically so you can say them:

Mende Language
Bah-hoon-gay=Dont explain! (this is my Mende name)
cah-hoon-yea-na=how are you?
Kye-eee-go-ma=thanks to God. Reply to the greeting. You say it a lot here.
Bee-yea-eee=how did you sleep?
Woo-moo-bay-may=let’s eat rice
Goo-mo-yee-paw-da=have a good night
mo-lo-see-nah-way=see you tomorrow
ah-me-nah=amen
Joe-la=potato leaf
Sah-kee=cassava leaf
Tan-gay=cassava
Nyaa-go-via-bang=I am very full
Bee-lay-bo=shut up
Bo-whoa-tea-jay-cee-ah=shake your butt (dance)

Krio Language
How-dee-bo-dee=How are you? (how’s the body)
Bo-dee-fine=im good
Coo-shay=fine
chop=food
ooh-side-ooh-deh-go=what are you going?
tomb-bah=butt
If-you-no-lef-ah-aye-go-beat-you=if you dont stop I will beat you

Fullah Language
Men-doh-fah-la-oh-day-boar=I want that woman
Bee-bee-nah=good night

Mondingo Language
In-no-wall-lee=good afternoon
ko-bah-ree-ka=thank you
yan-dee=please
ee-nor-rah=good night

No comments: