Tuesday, January 6, 2009

BOTSWANA 2008!

Hello All! Happy New Year!

This post is going to be all about my trip to Botswana over the holidays. Work this week is especially hectic due to a visit next week by WJC himself. I will write about that one soon.

Anyways, so I flew from Abuja to Lagos and then to Joberg. I have a friend there and I stayed with him a couple days before I went to Botswana. We just went to some bars and one day we went to see a movie with his children who I had never met. There are not any pictures of this, sorry.

Then I flew from Joberg to Maun. I could not fly directly to Kasane so I stayed in a little guest house in Maun, check it out, my room was like one of those little rodevel huts.
















From Maun, I took a bus to Nata. In Nata, I hitched a ride to Kasane. It was so cool because from there onward there were elephants crossing and walking along the road.















I spent Christmas in Kasane with a friend I met in Nigeria. He married a Motswana girl and they built a house in Kasane right on the Chobe River. He just had his second child so I got to see his sons also. Check out the view from his house:















See the across the river? That is in Namibia. Kasane is right at the border of Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.















Look, there are hippos in the river that come out and walk around. This fence was no match.
















Look at this sunset. The sky is so big here and there is little light polution so you can see so may starts.

The best photos of the trip are not yet here, I let my friend take them since he had the better camera. When I was in Kasane, I did a small day trip to Victoria Falls. This was amazing. Hopefully, I will be posting the photos soon.

While in Kasane, I went on a boat cruise and saw tons more elephants, hippos, and buffulo.















Look at how strange this is. Why is that hippo chillin with the elephant? Don't see stuff like that too often.
















This is a small island between Namibia and Botswana. I guess they were disputing ownership last year, and Botswana won. They put a flag to rub it in.

I also visited a croc farm. That was pretty cool, look at these guys:















This one looks like some kind of monster with all that moss on him. He really wanted to eat me.















Look at the size of this one! He is like a dinosaur or something.

From Kasane, I took a bus like 1,300 km to Gaborone, the capital. The next day I drove with a friend there to his familiy reunion in Molepolole. We ate a bunch of beef and drank some beers there.

In the middle, I slipped out and went to my old village, Letlhakeng, since it was close. I saw my old friend Same and her family there. Here is her in a Nigerian dress I got her.




















Here is the rest of her family. They fed me and kept an eye on me a lot when I stayed there almost 2 years ago.

















Some of you may remember I had a dog when I stayed there. Unfortunately, it got ran over by a car. But before she died, she had puppies. Same's mom kept one of the puppies and now that one had puppies. So here are my one of my dog's children and grandchildren. I hope they are ok, I think the father may be the dog's brother (gross!)

















So then I returned to Molepolole, and then spent the rest of my time in Gaborone. I spent new years eve with some old peace corps friends that are still there and some of the newer peace corps. I met the volunteers in my village. I guess I am still remembered there as they call them all by my name. Or maybe they just think all white people look the same :)

I visited my old language teachers and some other people from my village who had since moved to the capital. I hung out by the pool and ate beef and stuff like that. I went shopping got some batswana crafts. I also went to their natural history museum. Here a pic of me there with one of my friends. She obviously likes posing.
















Then I had a long ride back. I took a bus from Gaborone to Joberg. Then I fly the next morning from Joberg to Lagos. Then had to wait several hours to get a fly from Lagos to Abuja. I am not much of picture taker, but I think this gives you a good idea of the trip (minus Victoria Falls).
I do expect to to more traveling with work this year, but do not expect any postings as interesting as this one for a while!
Hope you liked it, I had so much fun!

No comments: