Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Arrival in Kenema


It was a long journey from Freetown to Kenema. We left the bus rank at 7am and didn't arrive until around 3:30. First the bus broke down and we had to wait for a part to fix it for an hour. Later on there were big holes in the road filled with water so we had to get out of the bus so there was less weight so it could pass. But I was in not rush and we got to see many of the small villages along the way.



When I got to Kenema they had a huge cultural dance just for me! It was too nice.


My host family is awesome and my room is very nice. I have been learning Mende, the language they mostly speak here all morning.


This afternoon the whole NGO is having a meeting to formally introduce me, give me all the background about how they got started, their partners, and we will decide on a job description for me. I have told them that I do not only want to work in the office, but would like to do real labor in their agricultural projects. I am really excited about that. I like to be able to see physical changes from the work I am doing. The NGO has 10 staff members, all volunteer. The office is directly across the street from the house I am staying.


Tonight I am going to go to a club with the older girls in the house. They will unsuccessfully try to get me to dance. I want to try some palm wine.


I am very happy here. This is a somewhat big town, but not as big and hectic as Freetown. I feel very welcome here and know I will have a great year.
















No comments: