Sunday, December 2, 2007

Arrival in Freetown




Hello all-
So I arrived in Sierra Leone safely Wednesday night. My luggage however, did not. The airport in actually in Lungi, not Freetown. You have to take a ferry to get to Freetown from there. By the time we filled out the report for the missing luggage, we missed the last ferry. We stayed with the Director of the NGO, Shed's cousin in Lungi.

The next day we woke up early and took the ferry to Freetown. I went to the embassy and registered. Then we just explored Freetown and I met many of Shed's hundreds of cousins :) Freetown is beautiful!!! The moutains meet the water and it is quite a sight (pictures in later posts)

Not too much else to report just yet, since we have just been exploring and waiting for the luggage, which I did finally receive last night. So now it is off to the village I will be staying at for the year, Kenema. It is the 3rd biggest city after Freetown and Bo.

I have been playing with a bunch of little kids today and having them help me learn Krio and Mende. It isn't terribly difficult. Shed's wife is in Maryland and I met her before I left. She gave me the Mende name Bahungeh (Bah-whon-gay) which means 'dont explain.' It is a unique family name of theirs and people have been getting a kick out of it.

It is so nice here and everyone has been SO nice to me and been looking out for me. The food here is WAY better than in Botswana, I better start running again when I get to Kenema. I had a great dish called foo-foo, made out of casava leaves. Also, they make a good sauce that goes on rice out of okra that is great. They eat a lot of fish, so I am really enjoying that. Down by the beach they catch lobster and serve it to you fresh from the ocean, awesome! I am going down to Lumley Beach tonight. Tomorrow morning we will catch a bus for the 4 hour ride to Kenema.

Expect frequent posts once I get there. The electricity situation there is actually better than in Freetown. We havent had it for the last two days (this cafe is run by a generator). They have a dam in Kenema so they dont have electricity outages.

Anyways, next time I will post pictures and give you my address in Kenema so you can write me if you like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brings back sweet and fond memories!!!

Sa Lone Pikin